About Multiple Chronic Condition (MCC) Guidelines
Chronic conditions are conditions that last a year or more and require ongoing medical attention and/or limit activities of daily living. Multiple chronic conditions (MCC) are concurrent chronic conditions. In other words, multiple chronic conditions are two or more chronic conditions that affect a person at the same time. For example, either a person with arthritis and hypertension or a person with heart disease and depression, both have multiple chronic conditions.
More than a quarter of all Americans—and two out of three older Americans—are estimated to have at least two chronic physical or behavioral health problems. Treatment for people living with these multiple chronic conditions (MCC) currently accounts for an estimated 66 percent of the Nation's health care costs. (Source: http://www.hhs.gov/ash/about-ash/multiple-chronic-conditions/index.html ).
In September 2016, NGC launched a new feature designed to help users find guidelines addressing MCC. The feature identifies guidelines that meet the definition for MCC and include actionable recommendations for the treatment of two or more concurrent chronic conditions.
Finding MCC Guidelines in NGC
Searching from the Home Page
- Type multiple terms in the Keyword Search separated by AND to return relevant results. For example, search on "heart failure" AND "depression".
- Guidelines specifically addressing MCC are marked with a Multiple Chronic Conditions tag. This MCC tag identifies guidelines represented in NGC that provide actionable guidance addressing the treatment of two or more concurrent chronic conditions.
- The search results can be further narrowed by selecting the "Addresses Multiple Chronic Conditions" filter displayed in the left rail.
- After selecting the "Addresses Multiple Chronic Conditions" filter, your filter choice will display at the top of your search results page, and the page will refresh to include only those guidelines that address MCC.
Browsing All Guidelines in NGC that Address MCC
- From the Guideline Summaries drop-down menu, select All Summaries.
- All guideline summaries posted to NGC will display. Select the "Addresses Multiple Chronic Conditions" filter from the left rail.
- Your result list will refresh to display the complete list of guidelines in NGC addressing MCC.
NGC Guideline Summary Display
In an NGC guideline summary, directly below the guideline's primary "Disease/Condition(s)" field is an "Other Disease/Condition(s) Addressed" field. This field Indicates the presence of multiple chronic conditions by listing co-existing or comorbid chronic diseases or conditions for which specific recommendations are provided. This field is only populated for MCC identified guidelines.
Page Last Reviewed or Updated: November 28, 2016